Sunday, November 25, 2018

Do left-handed people and right-handed people buckle their belts differently?

As a left-handed, I used to do buckle the opposite way as a kid - insert to the left loop of my trouser first - so, the tail end stays to the left after buckling - like the kid standing on the left in the picture in the Question comment.
However, I slowly shifted/adapted to the common practice, like many other things, for few reasons -
  • Wearing my school belt that way would show the school emblem/logo on the buckle in inverted way
  • Same way with the general belt buckles - I have to find a design that would have a symmetric design when inverted. I cannot use the below one, but the following ones.

  • Some belt buckles would have a button/pin on the bottom to loosen and release the belt. With the inverted way, the button would be on the top pressing into my belly.
  • The second layer of belt would not let me to easily insert my ID card holder to the right-side of my trousers.


However, wearing this way (start by inserting into left) causes few inconveniences as a leftie -

  • To remove the belt from the rings, i can pull only by my right hand. Pulling by left hand won’t remove the belt easily.
  • I can unbuckle easily only with right hand. I have to remember that sometimes.
  • The hanging second fold of the belt gets hit to my left hand which is the active one, especially while taking out wallet/phone from left pocket. Another reason to wear the watch on right hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment