Sunday, December 27, 2020

Playing Violin as a left-handed

 I am left-handed.

I tried learning violin when I was in school about 13–14 years old. I realized that the bow is not held as simple as a stick, but as a special grip - at least that’s what my Guru taught.

Not like this

Source: shutterstock

But, like below:

At that age, I did not feel that grip comfortable with my right hand - I used to feel pain in wrist and shoulder and not natural - some awkward twists in wrist after practicing for 10–15 minutes.

I did not feel similar discomfort while holding the bow with my left hand.

I gave up learning after my Guru and dad felt it would be too expensive and effort to shift the strings on violin.

When I grew older, in my late twenties, I restarted playing violin - I no longer feel pain/discomfort with the right hand grip - however, I don’t find time to practice and take to the next stage to actually see if I can play at a decent level.

No comments:

Post a Comment